Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Our 2010 Garden

This is our new garden. With Ray's help, we have planted yellow squash, pickling cucumbers, tomatoes, and beans. I forgot the carrots, they are in the pot. The carrots and beans were started from seed. I'm not sure if the beans will do well but the rest is doing great. I have really enjoyed planting and watching them grow.

It is truly amazing what a small seed, good soil, fertilizer and water can do.

At right is our cherry tree. You can bearly see the cherries. They are the yellow/red cherries. They slight citrus taste. They aren't quite ready but will be soon. There isn't quite enough to preserve or make jelly, we just eat them...all of them. We planted a new red cherry and orange tree this year. Of course we share some of them with the birds. Our two cats have helped keep them out somewhat. They have turned out to be good bird catchers. Not that I like that very much but what are you going to do. They go after anything that moves.

I was able to freeze 30 cups of lemon juice this past winter thanks to a generous donation of free lemons. I have enough for my canning and drinking this summer, it think. We shall see. I just love fresh lemonade. If you know of anyone who doesn't want their lemons or other fruit let me know. I may be able to use it.