Thursday, May 20, 2010

Blueberries

I recently discovered that blueberries are grown in the Central Valley. My dad says I use to eat them when we lived in northern Michigan. They would set me by a bush and I would help myself.

I love blueberries and usually have very little because of how expensive they are...well no more...there is a place to buy them in Kingsburg at Paul & Gayle Willems Farms. They have blueberries, boysenberries, and blackberries from mid-May until the end of June (I believe). You can get information by calling 897-0903. They sell them at the Fresno Kaiser Hospital Farmers Market on Wednesdays from 8 am-1:30 pm.

They grow 12 varieties through the season. I've just tried one and that's good enough for me. I have eaten quite a few already and have made two batches of jam. It is the best. I use the low sweetener Sure-Jel which makes for a lot of flavor.